C5-6 Technologies LLC.
C5-6 Technologies LLC
5627 Old Oak Drive Fitchburg,
WI 53711 USA.
- Comparative Genomics
- Functional Genomics
- Carbohydrate Chemistry
- Genome Annotation
- Gene Annotation
- Enzyme Engineering
- Functional Annotation
- Throughout my career, I have had an interest in the relationship between structure and function in living systems, particularly in the areas of proteins.
- My graduate work studied the enzymology of vitamin B12 biosynthesis. In industry, I continued to pursue this interest by studying the relationships of starch-degrading enzymes with their substrates.
- Eventually, I became head of research for an industrial enzyme company with $50M in sales, Enzyme Bio-Systems, Ltd., which is now a part of Dow-Danisco.
- The work I performed there led to three new enzyme products with over $10M in sales as well as developing a maltodextrin business for the parent company.
- After Enzyme Bio-Systems was sold, I moved to Lucigen Corp. to work on purification and characterization of enzymes involved in nucleic acid synthesis.
- Part of the work at Lucigen focused on discovery of new organisms as potential sources for these nucleic acid enzymes.
- The new organisms discovered in my work led to the formation of C5o6 Technologies, Inc., a spin-out from Lucigen.
- As the Chief Scientific Officer for C5o6 Technologies, Inc., I had overall responsibility for research focused on the identification, cloning, and characterization of novel microbial carbohydrases through both random shotgun screening of organisms and whole genome mining of organisms.
- These enzymes have been patented and commercialized for applications in research, biofuels production, and biomedical applications.
- We partnered with commercial and academic laboratories to advance our understanding of the structure and function of these newly discovered enzymes and to develop additional commercial applications for them.
- C5o6 Technologies, Inc. was dissolved in 2014, and I purchased the assets in 2015 to continue the work of identifying carbohydrases with potential antimicrobial and antibiofilm activities that I started.
- At the new company C5-6 Technologies, LLC, I collaborating with UW Pharmacy staff and an antibiotic company to move the first antimicrobial enzymes into clinical trials.
- I am also assisting a start-up in Madison identify and develop new enzymes for capture and sequencing of large DNA molecules. www.c56technologies.com also: LinkedIn.com Researchgate.com and academia.edu.